Rysen Ranch!
Displaying 1-15 of 15 total.
Please enter a numerical value for the importance of this sticky.
Enter 0 to unsticky.
Rysen_

This is a fun little project that I've been working on, basically just to see if I could do it. It's come along really nicely, so I thought I would share what I've done with you guys. So here's a small demo of my Harvest Moon clone "Rysen Ranch". Check the readme file for details. :)

Screenshot:
http://atlas.walagata.com/w/rysen/RysenRanch_02-06-2004.png

Demo:
http://www.freewebs.com/rysensoft/Files/RysenRanch_02-06-2004.zip

Posted on 2004-02-06 03:32:50

Rysen_

FreeWebs seems to be a painfully slow server, so I've uploaded it at:
http://www.geocities.com/rysensoft/RysenRanch_02-06-2004.zip

Posted on 2004-02-06 03:37:03

Ratgash

I really enjoyed playing this uplifting demo, you've captured the Harvest Moon's feel really well. The graphics and animation look great and sounds are good; I'm definitely looking forward to playing future versions. :)

Posted on 2004-02-06 05:54:31

farmerbob

Awesome work! Harvest Moon was one of my favorite games.

Oh and I spotted a small bug. The shipping guy also comes at night. I'm guessing he was supposed to come at 5:00 (I'm pretty sure it was that in the game), but it did it for both AM and PM time.

Also, throwing rocks sometimes would make the rock land, but when you picked it up again, it would keep a rock on the ground and you'd also have one in your hands. Somehow I also took a chunk out of the shipping bin by doing this too.

Good luck with it!

w00t!

Posted on 2004-02-06 13:53:46

Rysen_

Yeah, I noticed the 5:00 bug earlier today, and know what's wrong so that should be fixed today.

As for throwing rocks, and taking a chunk out of the shipping box... I have no idea. :P But I'll definately look into it.

Thanks for the comments and bug reports!

Posted on 2004-02-06 17:49:02

Omni

It is not wrong to not understand, for we are all ignorant, but neither is understanding pointless.

Come visit www.verge-net.com!

Posted on 2004-02-06 19:02:29

Omni

First of all, it's really awesome that somebody tried to make a Verge HM game. One or two things:

1. Could we get an in-game clock so I can tell exactly what time it is?
2. Could the time be more lenient? That's one thing I never liked about the SNES version--my days were too short to get anything done. I really appreciated the larger day times in PSX HM, where you could have time to visit different people and really explore the land.

Just some ideas. Good job!

It is not wrong to not understand, for we are all ignorant, but neither is understanding pointless.

Posted on 2004-02-08 14:09:22

Rysen_

Actually there is an in-game clock that displays the time all ready. It's my intention to have it so that you can purchase (or win) a watch in order to see it. :)

I've been asked about extending the day a couple of times before and have started to feel that the days are too short myself, so they'll be extended in the next release.

Thanks for the comments, encouragement and the news update at verge-net! It really inspires me to continue working on this. ^_^

Posted on 2004-02-08 15:54:40

Omni

That "earn a clock" idea is kinda neat. It appeals to me for some reason--maybe because it's like a goal or something realistic to do.

Well, in that case, by any chance, do you think you could also put in church bell SFX that ring at lunch and 6:00 PM? That would help orient the player even when he doesn't have a watch. Just a suggestion

In fact, the watch could be a tool that must be equipped to read it. That's a really nifty idea.

Posted on 2004-02-08 17:19:34

Rysen_

NT

Posted on 2004-02-09 23:03:42

farmerbob

Just some random ideas, which you can choose to use or not:
1) To able to switch the flow of time with a button. In Harvest Moon: Back to Nature (PS-X), a regular day is too short, but the wait for a festival to open is too long.

2) Getting bonus pay for over a certain amount of shipping in a day. Let's say you manage to put 20 things in the bin. Maybe the shipper can give you extra 100 G or something.

3) Make it so that certain people are nocturnal, and you can buy items and/or tools that you can't buy during day time.

[ farmerbob ]

Posted on 2004-02-11 01:49:10

Rysen_

These are some great ideas, and I really appreciate you guys sharing them with me.

1). This is a good idea. My idea for this would be the ability to purchase (or win) an alarm clock which could give you the option of "Napping". You could tell it what time you wanted to wake up, and sleep for x amount of hours. This could also restore some stamina. I think what will probably end up happening is that it will be a feature of owning a watch, which Omni and I were discussing in the above posts.

2). This also appeals to me, and shall be done. :D

3). I also like this idea, and actually had all ready planned on doing something of the sort. I've always liked the idea of independant events happening depending on the time of day, so I'll definately do something with this.

Currently I'm working on the art side of things (Sprites, etc.) and am going to try and have a town ready for the next release. It might be awhile before you see an update from me, as art is really my weakest point.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Keep them coming. :)

Posted on 2004-02-11 03:09:18

Omni

Is it going to be possible to move entities around in code at certain times in the day using just Verge's entity system? The only VC commands I know of for moving an entity freeze the lock the engine until a character is moved, and the Map engine's entity system is just plain random. How are you going to move your entities to be in certain places at certain times?

I've personally got my own idea on how I'd do it, but it would of course involve some new custom movement system or somesuch.

Posted on 2004-02-11 03:15:28

farmerbob

If you wanted to have them move around at certain times, you just do entitymove() at that certain time of day. If they're going to another map, that'd be a different story, unless the world is all on one map or something. It would still be possible to work with though.

[ farmerbob ]

Posted on 2004-02-11 12:58:42

Omni

Yeah, I figured at certain times, just spawn them where they need to appear, give them a move command, etc. When you're done, walk them off the map or shut them off. Sounds pretty simple now that I think about it.

Posted on 2004-02-12 00:24:52

Displaying 1-15 of 15 total.

Newest messages

Ben McGraw's lovingly crafted this website from scratch for years.
It's a lot prettier this go around because of Jon Wofford.
Verge-rpg.com is a member of the lunarnet irc network, and would like to take this opportunity to remind you that regardless how babies taste, it is wrong to eat them.