OMG TEH CUTENESS!!!1111
Displaying 21-24 of 24 total.
prev 1 2
Please enter a numerical value for the importance of this sticky.
Enter 0 to unsticky.
ThinIce

I just fake it with a vector tool, or the 'pen'.
muaha.. hahaha... yea =\

Posted on 2004-10-11 14:09:48

evilbob

Quote:Originally posted by mcgrue

Mmm... I think celshading isn't recisely what I was doing. Celshading in photoshop makes use of smudging a lot from my understanding. I was, in my halfassed quick newbish way attempting a watercolor dealie.

Proper celshading would use anything but smudging, and is a 2-3 tone hard-edged shading scheme. Doing smooth chiaroscuro and blending stuff makes traditional animation much, much more painful, and with hard edges you can see exactly where the highlights and shades must animate and not just the ink lines. And so the style got its name, by the fact that traditional animation involves painting directly onto individual sheets of transparent celluloid.

Also yeah your sketch was more marker/watercolorey. Overlapping semi-transparent strokes and stuff. I use the thick end of 10% grey prismamarker to block out shapes in my sketchbook, then use the small end of a 20-30% to fill in more detail, then bring in the pen for final inking. I rarely feel motivated to work in my sketchbook anymore, but when I start a digital painting the first thing I do is use a large low-opacity grey brush to start blocking out forms in the same way.

So, uh, I had a point I thought. Oh, right. Your pic is basically how a lot of my paintings start out, before I doodle and detail it to death.

Posted on 2004-10-11 22:05:34 (last edited on 2004-10-12 17:51:11)

i-3nerds

<___< ... Bob said everything I had planned on saying about cel-shading. *cough*

Also, you'll notice that when people buy 'cels', which are individual frames from cartoons/movies that are transparant, they are colored in just that cel-shading fashion! Tadaa! Hence the name cels. ;)

Posted on 2004-10-12 16:14:37

Spram2

Hahaha. THat's the best thing ever. Right-Click-N-Save.

Posted on 2005-06-24 23:53:08

Displaying 21-24 of 24 total.
prev 1 2

Newest messages

Ben McGraw's lovingly crafted this website from scratch for years.
It's a lot prettier this go around because of Jon Wofford.
Verge-rpg.com is a member of the lunarnet irc network, and would like to take this opportunity to remind you that regardless how babies taste, it is wrong to eat them.